Colorado Migrant Welcome Guide (Spanish)
Este paquete de bienvenida se diseñó con el propósito de ayudar a los solicitantes de asilo e inmigrantes que aún no tienen un estatus legal de inmigración, pero que tienen la intención de vivir en Colorado. Esta guía no es asesoría legal y no incluye toda la información que necesita saber. Es solo una guía para ayudarlo a comenzar. ¡Estamos felices de darles la bienvenida como nuevos habitantes de Colorado!
Accede al paquete aquí.
Colorado Migrant Welcome Guide (English)
This welcome packet is intended to assist asylum seekers and migrants who do not yet have an immigration legal status but are intending to call Colorado home. Access the packet here.
Office of New Americans: Annual Report 2021
The Office of New Americans continues to advance its vision for all New Americans in Colorado to have equitable access to opportunity and well-being. The 2021 annual report describes Colorado's New Americans, their contributions to the economy, legislation supporting their integration, and more. Read the report here.
HB 21-1150 - Final Recommendations Regarding the Establishment of the Office of New Americans
Per HB 21-1150, the New American Integration Initiative (now the Office of New Americans) convened a workgroup to deliver recommendations regarding the establishment of the ONA. The report in response to the state legislature’s mandate, also specifically recommends what state agencies or offices are best suited to administer the Colorado Refugee Services Program and any related programs so that the ONA’s integration goals are met or exceeded. Read the report here.
Office of New Americans Access Research Report
The Office of New Americans partnered with Kone Consulting to identify and recommend changes to program access points to facilitate the ability for New Americans to benefit from programs for which they are eligible. New Americans lack access to state programs to a greater degree than U.S. born Coloradans because of barriers such as language or lack of awareness. The study includes recommendations on changes that could be made to ensure equitable access to programs for all Coloradans. In this report, you will find both big picture and detailed recommendations such as:
- Engagement and access to information from trusted community leaders and organizations;
- Hiring on-site interpreters at county human services offices and prioritizing in-person meetings for applicants that have language and digital barriers;
- Implementing a full-service language assistance line accessible to all Coloradans;
- Utilizing text message systems to engage New Americans.
The New American ToolKit
Do you work with and/or serve New Americans? If so, you'll want to read The New American Toolkit, which provides resources you can use to advance your work, including:
- Background on Colorado's New Americans and their economic contributions to the state
- Funding opportunities to improve workforce development opportunities for New Americans
- Glossary of terms, including laws and legislation
- Information on program eligibility
- And more!
The Toolkit was developed by the Office of New Americans, in partnership with the Colorado Department of Labor and Employment, the Colorado Workforce Development Council, and the Colorado Refugee Services Program.
New American Integration: Annual Report 2020
The Office of New Americans continues the work of its predecessor, the New American Integration Initiative, which released a report at the end of 2020 describing Colorado's New Americans, their contributions to the economy, legislation supporting their integration, and more. Read the report here.
Articles from the Office
- To Find Talent, Employers Should Look to New Americans
- The New Immigration Legal Defense Fund Makes Colorado’s Justice System More Equitable
- When Education and Employers Partner, New Americans Benefit
- New Legislation Allows New Americans to Obtain Occupational Licenses: Your Questions Answered
- The Unique Needs of Rural New Americans: An Interview With Lisa Taylor, Executive Director of the Immigrant and Refugee Center of Northern Colorado
- Why English Is a Critical Part of New Americans’ Workforce Development Services: An Interview With Angeles Ortega, CEO of Mi Casa Resource Center
- What Coloradans Can Do to Support Afghan Refugees
- Why an Office of New Americans Matters to Colorado
- New Americans Community Advisory Committee Flyer - English (August 17, 2021)
- New Americans Community Advisory Committee Flyer - Spanish (August 17, 2021)
- New Americans Community Advisory Committee Application (August 10, 2021)
- About New Americans Community Advisory Committee (August 10, 2021)
- Public charge rule and Colorado immigrants (March 30, 2021)
- Lista breve de recursos de COVID-19 para inmigrantes y refugiados (25 agosto 2020)
- COVID-19 Resources: a short list for immigrants and refugees (August 25, 2020)