For employees and employers covered by the Colorado Overtime and Minimum Pay Standards Order ("COMPS Order") #38 the following applies:
- Where wearing a particular uniform or special apparel is a condition of employment, the employer shall pay the cost of purchases, maintenance, and cleaning of the uniforms or special apparel, with the following exceptions:
- if the uniform furnished by the employer is plain and washable, and does not need or require special care such as ironing, dry cleaning, pressing, etc., the employer need not maintain or pay for cleaning; and
- clothing that is ordinary, plain, and washable that is prescribed as a uniform need not be furnished by the employer unless a special color, make, pattern, logo, or material is required.
- The cost of ordinary wear and tear of a uniform or special apparel shall not be deducted from an employee's wages.
- As of March 16, 2020, employers may no longer require a uniform deposit as security for the return of a uniform furnished to an employee.
Colorado Overtime and Minimum Pay Standards Order ("COMPS Order") #38
Colorado Division of Labor Standards and Statistics | 303-318-8441| Contact Us