WHO WE ARE
The Work Opportunity Tax Credit (WOTC) is a federal tax credit that encourages employers to hire targeted groups of job seekers. WOTC can reduce employer federal tax liability by as much as $2,400 to $9, 600 per new hire.
For more details view the
ETA WOTC Handbook No. 408, Third Edition,
(page II-1 Target Groups At-A-Glance).
WOTC TARGETED GROUPS
- Category A: Welfare Recipients,
- Category B-1: Veterans Receiving Food Stamps,
- Category B-2: Disabled Veterans,
- Category C: Ex-Felons,
- Category D: Designated Community Residents,
- Category E: Vocational Rehabilitation Recipients,
- Category G: Food Stamp Recipients,
- Category H: Supplemental Security Income Recipients,
- Category I: Long Term TANF Recipients,
- Category V: Unemployed Veterans.Each target group has its own specific requirements.
You must apply for and receive certification from the Colorado Department of Labor and Employment (CDLE) WOTC Unit, verifying that any new hire is a member of a "WOTC Target Group" (see above box labeled Targeted Groups) before you can claim a WOTC on your federal tax return. This must be done within 28 days of the new hire's start date.
Start a new account and begin submitting applications on the WOTC Electronic Application website.
Start a new account and begin submitting applications for your customers through the WOTC Electronic Application website.
NOTE: If you wish to begin to send a large number of applications through the "batch file submission" process, please reach out to the WOTC staff for instructions on how to begin the process.
MORE INFORMATION: RESOURCES & WEBINARS
View the following topics for information on:
Our upcoming WOTC Informational & Training Webinars, access all the WOTC forms and guidance for the WOTC process, view the list of WOTC staff and their contact information, and the WOTC mailing address.
UPCOMING 2023 WEBINARS
UPCOMING 2023 WEBINARS:
Please register prior to attending.
Contact the WOTC credit if you have any questions regarding the webinar and the dates listed.
WEBINAR DATES & TIMES:
- January 19, 2023 from 2pm-3pm
- February 16, 2023 from 2pm-3pm
- March 16, 2023 from 2pm-3pm
- April 20, 2023 from 2pm-3pm
- May 18, 2023 from 2pm-3pm
- June 15, 2023 from 2pm-3pm
- July 20, 2023 from 2pm-3pm
- August 17, 2023 from 2pm-3pm
- September 21, 2023 from 2pm-3pm
- October 19, 2023 from 2pm-3pm
- November 16, 2023 from 2pm-3pm
- December 21, 2023 from 2pm-3pm
ETA WOTC Handbook & Information:
ETA WOTC Handbook, #408,
3rd Edition, Nov. 2002
Complete Forms: IRS Form 8850 and ETA Form 9061 and mail to the WOTC Unit.
View Form 8850 Instructions before filling out the "IRS Form 8850".
ETA Form 9175 (Self-Attestation)
Contact the WOTC staff:
Work Opportunity Tax Credit/
Foreign Labor Certification/Federal Bonding Coordinator
Business Solutions Manager
Colorado Department of Labor & Employment,
Attn: WOTC Unit
633 17th Street, Suite 700, Denver, CO 80202-3927
Tax related questions should be directed to the IRS information number: 1-800-829-1040.