Injured Workers


   How are we doing?     Who's Who in Workers' Compensation

 Get Medical Care

In an emergency, get medical treatment at the closest hospital immediately. In non-emergency situations, select one provider from the designated provider list which should be given to you by your employer within seven days after you notified your employer about the injury. 

You can request reimbursement for mileage and parking related to medical visits and to pick up medications or supplies related to the injury. You must request reimbursement within 120 days of travel. The insurance carrier must pay you within 30 days, or they must provide written notice stating why the reimbursement was denied. You may view a sample reimbursement form in the Claimant Brochure and get help determining the amount of repayment with our new online mileage calculator.  

 Report Your Injury

Within 10 working days of your injury, you should tell your employer about the injury. This must be done in writing. If you were injured more than 10 days ago, you should still notify your employer in writing as soon as possible.

 File a Claim

File a Worker’s Claim for Compensation (WC 15) with the Division within two years of your injury. (Este formulario debe completarse en Inglés.) Even if your employer did not carry workers’ compensation insurance, you should still file the Worker’s Claim for Compensation as you may qualify for benefits through the Colorado Uninsured Employer Fund.

 Understand Potential Benefits

There are many types of workers’ compensation benefits available that you may be eligible for. In addition to medical care, you may be entitled to lost wages or permanent disability as a result of the injury. The amount and type of benefits you receive depend on the wages you earned from all employers prior to the injury, your ability to return to work, and the degree of any permanent injury.

 Resolve or Reopen Your Claim

If you disagree with the insurance carrier regarding liability of your claim, medical treatment, payment of benefits, or any other matter, you can request a hearing with the Office of Administrative Courts. The Prehearing and Settlement Conference Unit can also help resolve any pre-litigation issues, such as discovery (the exchange of evidence) or help mediate a settlement between parties.

 The Difference Between Workers’ Compensation and Unemployment Insurance

Workers’ compensation insurance provides medical and lost wage benefits to workers who are injured on the job. Unemployment benefits may be available to workers who have lost their job through no fault of their own.

A worker does not have to be injured to collect unemployment benefits. If you have questions about unemployment, please visit cdle.colorado.gov/unemployment or call the Colorado Division of Unemployment Insurance at 303-318-9000 or toll-free at 1-800-388-5515.



Contact Us

Division of Workers' Compensation
633 17th Street, Suite 400
Denver, CO 80202
1-888-390-7936 (Toll-Free)

Have a complaint? Please email cdle_wc_complaints@state.co.us or fill out this form.