How to Get Coverage

How Do I Get Workers’ Compensation Insurance?

You can get workers’ compensation coverage in one of two ways:

Insurance Carriers

Many employers purchase insurance from an insurance carrier just like they would buy auto insurance and other liability insurance. When buying insurance in the insurance market, most employers buy a policy from an insurance agent who writes the policy through an insurance company the agent represents. 

     Find a Workers' Compensation Carrier


For some employers, the option of self-insuring their workers’ compensation obligations is available. There are two kinds of self-insurance, individual and pooled.

Individual Self-Insurance
For an individual employer to become self-insured in Colorado, the employer must meet the following requirements:
Been in business for at least 5 years or be a subsidiary of a company that has been in business for at least 5 years
Have at least 300 full-time employees working in Colorado
Have, or have a parent company with, assets of at least $100 million

All employers wishing to become self-insured must have an exemplary financial position and provide the following:

  • Excess insurance coverage
  • Security such as a surety bond
  • Claims adjusting either internally or through use of a third-party administrator

If your company is interested in becoming individually self-insured, please contact the Division of Workers’ Compensation at 303-318-8700 or toll-free at 1-888-390-7936.

Self-Insurance Pools

If your business does not meet the requirements to be individually self-insured but is interested in joining or forming a self-insurance pool, please contact the Division of Insurance in the Department of Regulatory Agencies at 303-894-7499 or toll-free at 1-800-930-3745.

Workers’ Compensation Compliance Verification

If you would like to see whether a company has workers’ compensation insurance coverage, you can go to our online database at

To see if a company has rejected coverage, please see our real-time Rejection of Coverage database at

Contact Us

Division of Workers' Compensation
633 17th Street, Suite 400
Denver, CO 80202
1-888-390-7936 (Toll-Free)