Pell Grant

Young woman in a classroom next to two male students, smiling while raising her hand

What is a Pell Grant?

"The Pell Grant is the largest federal grant program offered to undergraduates and is designed to assist students from low-income households. A Federal Pell Grant, unlike a loan, does not have to be repaid, except under certain circumstances. To qualify for a Pell Grant, a student must demonstrate financial need through the Free Application for Federal Student Financial Aid (FAFSA®) form." – Provided by Federal Student Aid Website.

Get Help Paying for Education and Training

Additional training might help you get a job. Local colleges and other training providers offer many programs that can help you improve your skills.

You may be eligible to receive financial aid through the Federal Pell Grant Program if you have not already earned a Bachelor's Degree. Pell Grants can help to pay for your education and training costs and can be used at most colleges and technical schools. All Colorado community colleges participate in the Pell Program and their Financial Aid staff can help you apply for the grant.

For Financial Aid information visit studentaid.gov.

Learn More about the Pell Grant


How to Get Started

Step 1: Education and Training

Decide if education and training will be helpful for your career goals. Identify if you would benefit from education and training by visiting:

Step 2: Apply

Review the Federal Student Aid website and application process to determine what information and documents you will need to gather before applying to any Financial Aid programs.

Apply to an education or training program or facility (ex. College or University) and locate or request the forms needed to apply for Financial Aid. Most colleges and universities can help you apply for a Pell Grant, scholarships, and other federally assisted Financial Aid programs. You can access the Federal Financial Aid application forms through the StudentAid.gov website or by calling 1-800-4FEDAID (1-800-433-3243).


You will need to report last year's income; if you lost your job the school's Financial Aid office may be able to adjust your income for the application process. A FAFSA form must be completed and submitted every year you are in school and you must demonstrate a financial need to stay eligible.

Additional Information

Are You Collecting Unemployment?

If you are collecting Unemployment Benefits and start a school or a training program, you must report it to the Customer Service Center.

Customer Service Center Information:

  • Within Denver-metro area: 303-318-9000
  • Outside Denver-metro area: 1-800-388-5515
Learn More

For more information on the Federal Pell Grant, visit MyColoradoJourney or the Federal Student Aid website.

MyColoradoJourney Federal Student Aid: Pell Grant