Colorado Uninsured Employer Fund


   How are we doing?

The Colorado Uninsured Employer (CUE) Fund exists to provide financial assistance to individuals injured while working for employers who did not carry workers' compensation insurance.

Next Board Meeting

The Colorado Uninsured Employee Fund Board is hosting a meeting on March 2, 2023 at 2:00 p.m. MT. If you would like to attend, you must register ahead of time.  

 Visit the Events & Training page for details

Am I Eligible?

  • Injury occurred on or after January 1, 2020
  • Injured while working as an employee for an uninsured employer
  • Have a final order from a judge finding that you are entitled to workers' compensation benefits
  • Not eligible for CUE Fund benefits? Click here.

How Do I Apply to the CUE Fund?

  1. File a Workers' Claim for Compensation with the Division of Workers' Compensation
  2. Attend a workers' compensation hearing and be awarded benefits
  3. File an Application to the Colorado Uninsured Employer Fund

     Apply to the CUE Fund

What Information Will I Need to Apply?

  • Workers' compensation number
  • Contact information
  • Date of birth
  • Employer name, address, and contact information
  • Medical information related to the injury (for example, bills, doctor contact info)

What Happens if My Application Is Accepted?

  • A claims adjuster will contact you to discuss your claim.
  • You may be assigned a new doctor.
  • You will be told what benefits the CUE Fund will pay.
  • Your employer will still owe you any benefits not paid by the CUE Fund.

Current Benefit Level

The CUE Fund is overseen by an independent board. Each year the board issues an annual report setting benefit levels. View the most recent Benefit Report here.

     Medical Benefits Available

What if I Have Questions?

Call us at 303-318-8700 or email


I was injured on the job and my employer does not have workers' compensation insurance. How do I get help from the CUE Fund and how long does it take?

To apply for the CUE Fund, you must first have obtained a judge's order saying that the claim qualifies for workers' compensation coverage and that there is no insurance. Once you have that, you can file an Application to the Colorado Uninsured Employer Fund which will be reviewed by the Colorado Uninsured Employer Board. There is no deadline for applying to the CUE Fund after you obtain the judge's order.


After acceptance to the CUE Fund, what benefits can I expect?

The CUE Fund pays medical benefits first. If there's enough money in the fund, other benefits may be paid. You can find the current funding level here.


Will I get a list of physicians to choose to treat with? Whom should I treat with prior to getting into the CUE Fund?

After acceptance into the CUE Fund, our TPA will issue you a new designated provider list. The CUE Fund will only pay for treatment provided by these physicians.


Does the CUE Fund pay for my initial ER visit? What should I do with the bills I have right now? I am being threatened with bill collection, what should I do?

The CUE Fund will pay all reasonable and necessary, unpaid, past-due medical bills upon acceptance into the CUE Fund. Please keep any receipts and bills that were paid toward your claim.


Will the CUE Fund cover me if my claim was denied by my company's workers' compensation insurance company or if I am an independent contractor?

Claimants who wish to apply to the CUE Fund must meet the following criteria:

  • Been an employee of an employer that did not have workers' compensation insurance
  • No other company's workers' compensation insurance applies
  • Obtain a judge' final order finding that they qualify for workers' compensation benefits


What happens if the CUE Fund runs out of money?

If the CUE Fund runs out of money, it will be closed to new applicants. If your claim is denied because the CUE Fund is closed, you can reapply once it reopens. In some cases, benefits being paid to people already admitted to the CUE Fund may be terminated. Regardless, your employer will always owe you the full amount of workers' compensation benefits you are entitled to under the law.

If you worked for an employer that did not have workers' compensation insurance but was contracted to another company that did have coverage, you might be able to obtain benefits from the other company's insurance.

Who should I bill for care prior to acceptance into the CUE Fund?
Prior to acceptance into the Fund, the claim is treated just like any other workers' compensation claim. If the claim has been admitted or adjudicated compensable, the employer is responsible for all reasonable and necessary medical treatment.


Can I bill the claimant?
Once a claim has been deemed compensable, the claimant cannot be billed for medical treatment, even if the employer cannot or will not pay for treatment.


Is there anything I can do to help the claimant?
Please encourage claimants to contact the Division of Workers' Compensation's Customer Service Unit at 303-318-8700 or

Upcoming Meetings

Deadline to Reapply: To be determined

Rate Set Date:

Name Representation Term Ends
Amy Newton, Chair Insurers 09-01-23
Paul Tauriello, Member Division of Workers' Compensation  
Shelley Phelps Dodge, JD, Member Attorneys representing injured workers 09-01-23
Joh Alvino, Member Labor organizations 09-01-24
Roger Hays, Member Employers 09-01-25

Contact Us

Colorado Uninsured Employer Fund
633 17th Street, Suite 400
Denver, CO 80202

Julie Yakes
Board Liaison
1-888-390-7936 (Toll-Free)